Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Return Home to Aspen!

So, to catch you up to speed, I will be in Aspen, reconnecting with my old friends and making new ones. I will be there from February 23 through March 1st, and based upon what happened just the first day, I am excited about what the week has in store.

Oh my word, it is so nice to be back in Aspen! It all begins in the Denver airport…you can just feel the Aspen “vibe” as you board the plane. I can’t explain it…it is just something in the atmosphere of people going to Aspen. We had a nice smooth landing and stepped off the plane into the cold, fresh Aspen air with snowflakes falling on my face. My best friend was there to greet me and we visited with the other locals that were meeting family and friends…everyone knows everyone in this town and if you don’t you will soon!! I even made a new friend on the airplane…pilot Bill whom we ended up joining with his friends for dinner and a night on the town. I’m not wasting any time getting to know Aspen as it exists today! So much to see and do in so little time.

I checked into my favorite “locals” place to stay, The Mountain Chalet. This quaint ski lodge is located right in town and within steps of the mountain. For a visitor traveling on a budget, but not wanting to sacrifice location or a good room, this is the place to stay…friendly, functional, comfortable and all the amenities you need. You even get a free breakfast with a room…a real breakfast. The image above is a summer view of the hillside next to The Mountain Chalet. Aspen is a one-of-a-kind destination, because it is a beautiful location all year round and has a myriad of summer and winter sports for all ages!

We dropped off my luggage and went to Matsuhisa for some sushi, which is a wonderful little restaurant with excellent service and comfortable yet modern atmosphere. Then we took in a concert at Belly Up, which is a really wonderful “night out” venue, with fun and versatile shows, they even offer a kid friendly version on occasion. A night out wouldn’t be complete without a little dancing so my “tour guide” showed us the way to The Regal Watering Hole which was such fun, but did make me realize my age (great music…fun young crowd…everyone is dancing). I fell into bed exhausted from the day, but invigorated by being back in Aspen…there’s no place like it!

This is an unbelievable shot of Aspen, one of the most beautiful places on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment